Fast, Cheap, and Good… but not all three

3 Dec

I can’t remember how I came across this mantra. It is nothing new, but ever since,  It has been plastered directly above my desk and I see it everyday.

I don’t expect this to be a huge “oh my gosh, WOW” moment for you, but I do enjoy sharing things that have helped simplify my life and helped me work more efficiently…this is one of them. Any artist I would assume has experienced this with their work:

It can be fast and cheap, but not good
It can be cheap and good, but not fast
It can be good and fast, but not cheap

A Film student from California contacted me once with some questions about media and what I would do in certain situations. One thing He asked was “When working on a project, how do you inform your employer or someone over you that you couldn’t accomplish an assigned task?”

My answer:

Hmmm…couldn’t accomplish a task? To be honest, in this industry that really isn’t an option. I either turn down the project because i know i won’t be able to finish it when they need it, or i bust my butt to get it done. Every once in a while you may need a little more time, in that case you have to go off your relationship with that person. If they know you and your work and trust you… you shouldn’t have a problem asking for an extension only if absolutely necessary. That doesn’t look good on your part if you are always late, they will find someone else with your talent, who can live up to their word. Something I have learned is that clients want things: Fast, Cheap, and Good… but you can’ have all three. Keep this in mind when people start giving demands…

It can be fast and cheap, but not good
It can be cheap and good, but not fast
It can be good and fast, but not cheap

Advertisements

7 Responses to “Fast, Cheap, and Good… but not all three”

1. google api key August 25, 2014 at 5:00 am #

You could certainly see your expertise in the work you write.

The arena hopes for more passionate writers such as you who are not afraid to say how they believe.
    At all times follow your heart.

2. ครีมทาผิวขาว September 15, 2014 at 8:26 am #

Hi, i think that i noticed you visited my website thus i got here to go back the
    choose?.I’m attempting to to find things to improve my web site!I suppose its adequate to make use of some of your ideas!!

3. Marth Hachting September 18, 2014 at 10:41 am #

As a reporter, my job is not to define what is
    ‘best’, nor, for that matter, what is a ‘zoo’.
    When I first started sculpting, I found that
    I also needed to gain experience in achieving movement and action as
    well. Then the Lion took Androcles to his cave, and every day used to bring him meat from which to live.

4. ขาเรียว September 28, 2014 at 6:21 pm #

hello!,I love your writing very a lot! share we keep in touch more
    approximately your article on AOL? I need an expert in this space to
    solve my problem. Maybe that is you! Taking a look ahead to see you.

5. tumblr.com December 23, 2014 at 7:06 am #

Great article.

6. m88 January 30, 2015 at 4:55 am #

Aw, this was an exceptionally nice post. Finding the time and actual effort to make
    a top notch article… but what can I say… I hesitate a lot and never manage to get anything done.

Trackbacks/Pingbacks

1. Best “pick two” illustration I’ve seen « Rosanne Elmore - January 19, 2011

[…] I wrote a post on this a little while back, see it here. […]